Since the College foundation, the library has played an important role in the school’s development and growth. The library has been created and maintained thanks to the generous donations made by members of the St. George’s Community, students, parents, and Old Georgians.
1903 sees the first mention of the library in the Georgian, while announcing the appointment of H. Taylor as librarian. At that time the library, still small, was placed inside a room between the classrooms in the main house. During 1900 two adjoining classrooms of corrugated iron and wood appeared parallel to the old swimming-bath and after 1914 were effectively used as the Library. In 1928 the new library block was built over what was the original swimming pool. Also adjoining the Library was a Reading-room, well supplied with papers and periodicals for the students. This building is now the Math’s department, the Head of College’s office and reception area.
During those years Mr. H. Cameron, who studied Agricultural Science and served both College and Preparatory school, was the librarian in charge.
By 1934 the good use that students gave to the library materials is already clear, given that more than six hundred book were borrowed that year.
For years the library was run by both teachers and students (mostly Prefects), who were in charge of keeping order, lending books and receiving donations. Among the Prefects were G. Musselle (1938), J.H. Moller y L.A. Lacey (1940).
In 1941 under the able supervision of Mr. Abraham, a great deal of work was made in classifying and arranging the books for their better use. Also that year one of the innovations was the small but complete Reference Library. In the lending library the time-limit was of ten days, while the newspaper and periodical service was changed regularly once a week.
During the following years, teachers and students continued working in order to improve the library’s organization, raise the quality of the collection and promote the love of reading among students. Those efforts bore fruit. In 1943 around 720 loans were recorded, and in 1944, while Mr. Halkett was in charge, a record number of 1,500 books was borrowed.